The Best Ever Scones with our Strawberry Preserves
High summer calls for high tea! Scones are very easy and quick to make. To bake the best ever scones, remember three key points: Make the scones as quickly as possible, once you add the milk the self-raising agents kick in and they need to be in the oven as soon as you can. Second, use as little milk as you absolutely need to so you don’t get a wet dough. Third, don't roll out your dough too thinly – you want it as high as possible, and you will get really high, light scones that melt in your mouth.
Freshly baked scones should be pulled gently apart with fingers. Cutting spoils the texture and makes them doughy. As scones stale quickly it is preferable to make and eat them on the same day, or you can store them in an airtight tin. You can also freeze the baked scones for up to 6 months.
Preheat oven 230oC/450oF/Gas 8
Ingredients for 12 scones:
- 225g/8 oz self-raising flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 50g/2 oz butter
- 125ml/¼ pint milk
- 1 egg, beaten, for glaze
- Sift flour and salt into bowl
- Add butter and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
- Add 100ml milk first of all. Mix to soft, but not sticky, dough with knife. Add more milk if necessary.
- Turn on to lightly floured board. Knead quickly until smooth.
- Roll out high & cut into rounds with 5 cm fluted cutter
- Transfer to buttered baking tray. Brush tops with egg glaze.
- Bake towards top of hot oven for 7 to 10 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack.
Serve with clotted cream and one of our Strawberry Preserves. Lucky they are so quick to make, as it won't be long before you're baking some more!