Blinis with Smoked Salmon & Radnor Chilli Jam
For the blinis
- 40g plain flour
- 125g strong white plain flour
- 1tsp salt
- 5g easy-blend dried yeast
- 150ml crème fraiche
- 175ml semi-skimmed milk
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 25g butter (melted)
- Prepare the blini batter by sifting together the flours and salt into a large mixing bowl, then add the yeast.
- Pour the crème fraiche and milk into a saucepan and heat together very gently. Remove from the heat and whisk in the egg yolks until smooth. Add to the flour mixture and whisk until you have a thick batter.
- Cover with a tea-towel and leave in a warm place for an hour, after which the batter will have become bubbly.
- Whisk the egg whites until they reach stiff peaks and fold into the batter.
- Brush a frying pan (non-stick preferably) with butter and heat over a medium heat until hot.
- Place four separate teaspoons of the batter into the pan, to give you four blinis, and cook them for barely 1 minute, then flip and cook the other side for 30 seconds.
- Transfer to a plate, cover with aluminium foil and keep in a warm place until ready to serve.
- Repeat the process to cook the remainder of the batter – if your pan is not non-stick, remember to brush it with a little more melted butter between blinis.
- Any unused blinis can be wrapped in foil and frozen. Serve with cream cheese, smoked salmon, Radnor Preserves’ Radnor Chilli Jam and sprigs of dill.